What You Will Be Doing:
As a Penske Software Engineer II, you will be leading the effort to develop, enhance, and support applications in a fast-paced development environment while working with senior members of the staff on medium to large sized projects in a diverse range of domains. Working on the Vehicle Supply team you will be responsible for back end development and front end integration of applications used by internal sales & vehicle procurement teams as well as our external supply partners. You will be maintaining and modernizing existing systems as well as working on new applications. Working in our collaborative environment you will have the opportunity to further develop your skills while also acting as a mentor and guide a team of software engineers on development best practices and ensure code quality through code reviews.
Ideal candidates for this role will have 7 years' experience working with Java, Spring MVC and relational databases.
This position can sit out of our corporate headquarters in Reading, PA or our IT Center in Tampa, FL.
• Be the primary contact and lead support associate for one or more critical applications and processes, resolving customer issues in a timely manner.
• Play a critical role in supporting the application lifecycle (develop, test, release and support) based on detailed requirements and guidance from senior engineers/architects and management.
• Collaborate with technical/business leaders and product owners to acquire and understand requirements / acceptance criteria.
• Produce deliverables for medium to large sized projects with clean, well-documented and easily maintainable code that adheres to defined coding standards.
• Participate in Design and Deploy Tollgate reviews and gain buy in from cross-functional teams including QA, Architect, Security, Webmaster and Operations.
• Effectively document systems, software architecture and processes, including application documentation, dependency diagrams, etc.
• Write unit / UI tests to identify defects and leverage CI/CD for building and deploying code.
• Triage production issues and work with multiple teams to perform problem analysis
• Lead the backend database design effort and where applicable collaborate with product owners and designers on UI/UX design.
• Assign projects and review deliverables from onshore and offshore software engineers.
• Provide constructive input to department management regarding team members assigned to project
• Participate in the hiring process to assist in assessing candidate technical skills and independently conduct new hire interviews.
• Other projects as assigned
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent years of software development experience
• 8-10 years experience of appropriate programming languages dependent upon the role (Java, RPG etc...)
• 1-2 years of experience working with Agile teams
• Knowledge of technical project management
• In-depth knowledge of appropriate design frameworks and patterns and experience in implementing them in software development.
• Knowledge of industry wide technology strategies and best practices.
• Expert knowledge of the full system development lifecycle.
• Familiarity with front-end UI/UX design
• Ability to independently conduct new hire interviews
• Ability to work independently and direct work to other team members.
• Expert knowledge of relational database design and implementation.
• Ability to estimate and lead medium to large sized projects.
• Ability to research emerging software development frameworks and tools
• Strong problem solving and analytic skill.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and effectively in a cross-functional team environment
• Solid written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
• Experience in DevOps Tools and automation
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske's product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more. #DICE