The Remote Operations Engineer will work with a team of engineers in our Sandy, Utah office operating multiple plant operations in the US and Canada.
The Remote Operations Engineer operates and monitors multiple plant operations from an offsite remote operations center through a state-of-the-art process control system. Reporting to the Director of Operations Services, the Remote Operations Engineers are responsible for continuous monitoring of control systems for select plant equipment, including but not limited to lime calcination (rotary and vertical kilns) and atmospheric lime hydrators. The Remote Operations Engineer fills a crucial role in ensuring safe & continuous operation, product quality, and compliance with environmental requirements. To achieve this, the Remote Operations Engineer will also work closely with onsite personnel to ensure efficient and safe operations. This position requires an in-depth understanding of how process changes affect plant operations and product quality in order to make decisions on process adjustments, handling of process alarms or out-of-limit situations, responding to requests from other departments, and optimizing operations.
The Remote Operations Engineer will work closely with the Graymont Process Engineering Group, plant personnel and other functional support groups to continuously improve Graymont's remote operations program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Provide leadership and participate actively to ensure the highest standards are achieved and maintained in terms of safety, environment, quality, and efficiency.
REQUIRED SKILLS :
- Start, monitor and regulate equipment in a safe manner, making process adjustments in response to, and anticipation of, operational and quality needs.
- Maintain shift operation records and exchange information with others on shift changes or during shifts as necessary.
- Communicate with onsite operations attendants, maintenance technicians, supervisors, process engineers and other personnel to coordinate production and quality requirements.
- Monitor product quality throughout the process line, collaborating with lab technicians and making decisions required to maintain product quality.
- Lead and/or participate on various special projects, either individually or as part of a cross-functional team, to continuously improve the remote operations program.
- Manage and operate multiple operating processes simultaneously.
- Continuously analyze process and product quality information, apply knowledge gained to define problems, establish facts, and determine valid conclusions to drive process efficiencies and improvements.
- Identify, develop, continuously improve, and communicate the best available process practices within Graymont.
- Keep abreast of the latest technological development in related industry.
- Work with Graymont's Process Engineering Group and plant process engineers to continuously expand and improve the automation strategy.
- Assist various departments and functional groups to investigate and find the root cause of problems.
- Must be willing to work extended hours as necessary to meet urgent deadlines or to ensure resolution of problems.
- Shift work; 12 hours rotating shifts between day shift and night shift to maintain 24 hour operations. Holiday and weekend coverage is required.
- Occasional travel required - up to 20%.Travel throughout the US and Canada. (Note: Travel intensity may be higher during training period.)
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills. Pursues innovative solutions when and where appropriate.
- Excellent critical thinking skills with the ability to analyze complex problems and implement solutions in a short timeframe.
- Able to effectively build relationships with employees at all levels within the organization (front line to executive management). Need to be able to communicate to clearly & effectively (both technical and non-technical).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities. Self-directed and highly motivated requiring minimal direct guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- A second language; French or Spanish, is an asset.
- Must be able to read and interpret electronic data and make appropriate decisions related to processing equipment.
- Experience with process control, automation, instrumentation, PLC's, or HMI required.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft programs.
- Post-Secondary Education with an Engineering degree, technical certification, or demonstrated advanced process control experience will be considered. Emphasis in Process Control Systems, Automation, Electrical or Chemical Engineering is considered an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years of industrial experience in a manufacturing or processing environment is preferred.
- Electrical, programming, instrumentation, automation and controls background a strong asset.
- Experience in a control room and/or working with control systems involving flows of raw materials, coal, lime, clinker and cement production preferred.