Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position exists within R&D's Manufacturing Technology team to provide leadership enabling new products to be effectively implemented and to provide world leading quality and cost effectiveness of this functional area. The individual holding this position will have demonstrated authority in their field in the manufacturing technology discipline and is recognized throughout the company as an expert in that field.
- Develops, evaluates, and executes complex or novel assignments requiring new or improved procedures or practices in finishing technology. Timken defines finishing technology as Grinding, Hard Turning, Super Finishing and Mass Finishing
- Actively seeks leadership roles by initiating, planning and directing projects to be accomplished by the team, to address the needs of the global businesses.
- Participates in major corporate strategies that involve development of modern manufacturing processes, development of processes for emerging market manufacturing locations and supply sources or rationalization of existing manufacturing processes.
- Interacts proactively with the product development, sales, marketing and manufacturing teams.
- Leads activities with outside vendors and suppliers to accomplish project goals.
- Acts as a mentor to other associates, helping them to develop excellent technical problem solving and leadership skills.
- Liaises with individuals outside the department including contacts within the global business units and outside the company to retain technical prominence.
- Works with external customers to achieve desired objectives and, in doing so, represents The Timken Company in a professional, business-like and ethical manner.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Experience taking an open-ended situation and developing a research program to address it and draw scientifically valid conclusions.
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering principals and manufacturing processes with emphasis on finishing processes.
- Ability to model advanced finishing processes
- Experience in development and application of new manufacturing processes or methods.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing principles.
- Experience in working with global suppliers on technical aspects of machine tool specification.
- Proven ability to influence internal customers and suppliers.
- Advanced software and computing skills, e.g., MS Office, engineering systems/databases, CAD, JMP, Matlab etc.
- Master's degree in Engineering with 10 or more years of relevant work experience, or
- Preferred: PhD degree in Engineering with 5 or more years of relevant work experience.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.