Timken Gears and Services' Philadelphia Gear brand has a current opening for a Purchasing Buyer position. The Purchasing Buyer is the primary company purchasing agent/buyer for marine main reduction gear projects and other gearbox projects. This position is responsible for procurement, sourcing, and other supply chain initiatives. The purchasing buyer will buy and expedite delivery of material requirements identified primarily for military marine requirements, complying with all applicable laws and regulations, while minimizing transactions, costs, and inventory.
- Respond to MRP messages, maintaining delivery requirements as identified by the business system and program managers.
- Buy materials within cost estimate and delivered on time. Raise RFQ's, PO's and maintain purchase history.
- Make supplier visits, identify new sources, maximize supplier performance, and reduce over time the number of vendors as required while expanding their diversity.
- Record and report performance towards Philadelphia Gear's supplier diversity goals using on-line government tracking and taking part in outreach efforts.
- Review variations and return defective materials to suppliers. Generate debit memos as required and maintain vendor rating system while work with the Quality Assurance department to generate waivers as appropriate.
- Create and enter Purchase Orders both for MRO requisitions and Marine orders.
- Have knowledge of FAR and DFAR terms and responsibilities.
- Work as a member of the company's supply chain team on various projects.
- Up to 25% travel to visit vendors/suppliers expediting for all Santa Fe Springs purchase orders.
Technical/ Functional Skills:
- Ability to multi-task, set goals and priorities, and meet deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Writing and communication skills required for internal reporting to company management and external reporting to customers/suppliers.
- Excellent computer skills (proficient in Microsoft Office software)
- Ability to work as part of a team and the ability to interact with all levels of customers and internal support teams.
- Ability to read engineering drawings
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration or Engineering required
- Minimum 5 years' experience with navy or commercial shipboard, 10 years' preferred
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) preferred
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.