Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Timken Gears and Services' Philadelphia Gear brand has a current opening for a Senior Marine Program Specialist position. This position is responsible for providing project management and technical direction of the installations of the new DDG main reduction gears at the BIW, General Dynamics Shipyard in Bath, ME. The Marine Program Specialist supports the Navy and BIW for the receipt inspection, storage, installation, alignment, dock trials, sea-trials, and operational acceptance by the Navy. This may entail some repair and/or replacing components of Philadelphia Gear equipment. This position may require troubleshooting equipment problems, and occasionally training of customer personnel along with a project supervisory role for larger installation or repair projects where the job scope includes shipyard or millwright services, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Program Specialist is mostly one of technical advice/support and project supervision and includes some hands-on work.
- Meetings with Navy and BIW representatives insuring that Philadelphia Gear's and Navy Ship specifications are met while minimizing risk to Philadelphia Gear and meeting shipyard's construction schedule.
- Provide technical direction for the installation, alignment and start-up to insure proper Philadelphia Gear's Navy, and shipyard procedures are followed.
- Provide feedback to manufacturing to implement design modifications to reduce warranty costs, manufacturing costs, and increase product operational and procedural efficiency.
- Attends receipt of the product and supervises unloading, storage and receipt inspection of the MRG.
- Accounts for any additional shipped lose parts and insure all parts are accounted and recorded at the shipyard.
- Completes a visual inspection of all parts and reports back any issues found that are not within specification or have been damaged during transport.
- Insures the product is stored and maintained per product instructions.
- Locates causes of equipment malfunctions by visually inspecting and listening to equipment, or by using various diagnostic equipment as required.
- Determines scope of repair and/or replacement parts by supervising the disassembling of equipment and evaluating questionable components.
- Oversees the repair of equipment and ensures proper operation once completed.
- Prepares incident and monthly reports for each job on a timely basis including time sheets, expense reports, and corrective action forms, etc., within proscribed timeframes.
- May need to travel to support other Navy/shipyards on an as needed basis.
- Additionally, at designated times during broader projects, the specialist will take a supervisory role with subcontractors PG uses to execute longer term projects.
- Completes assigned training hours each year through Timken University and/or other company sanctioned training vehicles.
- Must be able to obtain/maintain several safety certifications along with security passes.
- Program management of highly structured gearbox designs.
- Provide leadership for all phases of marine gear projects.
- Build relationships with government agencies and shipyards to improve the effectiveness of the marine program.
- Ensure that all supporting analysis work has been performed.
- Support manufacturing and delivered ships as required.
- Bachelor Degree in related field
- Applicant must have 10+ years of marine engineering experience
- Ability to multi-task, set goals and priorities
- Ability to manage large projects with a high degree of accuracy and organization
- Meet deadlines
- Work well within a team, and interact with all levels of customers and internal support teams
- Excellent computer skills (proficient in Microsoft Office software) and strong written and verbal communication skills are also required
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.