Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Description: Monitors and evaluates production and supplier materials to determine their acceptance status through the use of established sampling methods. Monitors and evaluates the adequacy of training and the proper performance of the process procedures. May test, dismantle, and inspect bearing units and bearing parts for defects. (Testing of the bearing unit is done under simulated operating conditions using computerized testing equipment.) Thoroughly examines the bearing units for cracks or missing components. May dismantle the units and inspect components for conformance to specifications using instruments such as micrometers, indicator gauges and calipers. Occasionally assists with the validation of customer claims regarding unit defects, parts or work. Must properly route units for repair, replacement or scrap in accordance with the findings of each unit inspected. Specialization may be required in accordance with the type of product being inspected. Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor or company management.
Overall Purpose: Evaluate product quality and maintain quality program within plant in accordance to specified standards.
- Examine characteristics of processed items using specified sampling method to conform compliance to applicable specified acceptance requirements.
- Examine characteristics of purchased/subcontracted items impacting product quality using specified sampling method to confirm compliance with applicable specifications. Test unit under simulated operating conditions using computerized testing equipment.
- Dismantles unit and inspects components for conformance to specifications, using instruments such as micrometers, indicator gauges, hardness testers and calipers.
- Monitor rejected and scrapped items to ensure compliance, verify validity and reduce costs.
- Routes unit to department for repair, replacement or salvage.
- Monitor process operations to verify compliance with established procedures and use of proper equipment and techniques.
- May specialize according to type of product inspected.
- Monitor calibration and recall of calibrated measuring and test equipment and devices.
- Identify, document, report and verify appropriate correction or other disposition of non-conformance items.
- Assist as requested with any customer or other outside visitor tours or informational visits to the facility.
- Generate and maintain appropriate quality records and reports.
- Interact with internal and external quality auditors as requested to ensure smooth flow of any audit process.
Physical Demands of Essential Functions & Frequency: Requires frequent lifting, reaching handling, fingering and near acuity.
A. Position: Standing, walking and sitting.
B. Weights & Force: Up to 100 pounds.
C. Use of Controls: Operates hoist, grinder, and cone turner; uses hand truck, gauges and micrometer, mobile racks, lathe, lateral equipment, pyrometers, data collection system, presses.
D. Vision must be normal (20/20). Correctional lenses are acceptable.
General Educational Development: Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Information may be presented in written, oral or diagrammatic form and requires a common sense understanding to be applied in order to carry out the instructions. Must be able to communicate in oral and written form with the associate performing the function(s) of the jobs with which this position interacts, as well as with customers and other Company officials to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.