The MBU Mechanical Inspector position is responsible for upholding the high-quality standards of the Thorlabs supply chain from within the Mechanics group. This individual will inspect the quality of incoming high precision mechanical components in compliance with Thorlabs manufacturing and ISO9001 quality standards. They will use measuring equipment, knowledge, and creative skills to perform first article inspections and sample lot pass/fail evaluations, recording inspection documentation while monitoring and reporting vendor performance. They must take a customer centric approach, being independent, flexible and a solid team player with great communication skills. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Utilize various inspection equipment and methods to measure highly toleranced components.
- Determine, manage, and set up levels, frequencies, rules, and points of inspection.
- Monitor and communicate vendor performance.
- Perform and document first article and sample lot inspections in accordance to company standards.
- Unbiased evaluation of vendor supplied items to blueprint specifications.
- Clearly document, process, and disposition non-conformances within the Thorlabs TQCM system.
- Accurate and thorough dimensional and visual inspections completed within an efficient manner.
- Recognize and measure critical features and specifications.
- Recommend, create, and specify inspection tools, jigs, and fixtures.
- Ensure components are handled carefully and protected, as well as clearly marked and organized with accurate quantities.
- Segregate and clearly mark non-conforming material. Sort and rework product where required.
- Provide constructive and detailed feedback to suppliers and internal customers.
- Assist other areas of the company with product inspections when required.
- Notify suppliers of non-conformances and areas for improvement.
- Provide product samples, offering tips and techniques on machining and finishing requirements.
- Provide quantitative data to back up measurements and findings.
- Ensure calibrated and well maintained equipment is utilized and kept up to date.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work space.
- Continuously strive to improve the process, procedures, and documentation within the inspection department.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience preferred.
- Machine shop experience a plus.
- Solidworks experience a plus.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to interpret mechanical blueprint specifications (metric/imperial) with an understanding of fit, geometric tolerancing, and thread classifications.
- Knowledge and proficiency with various inspection equipment and methods.
- Ability to use and interpret handheld inspection tools including, but not limited to, micrometers, calipers, and gauges.
- Effective usage of a comparator, surface finish, thread, and plug gages.
- Mechanical aptitude with the ability to troubleshoot problems.
- Knowledge of materials and metal finishing preferred.
- Understanding of ISO9001 as it applies to inspection and non-conformance.
- Understanding of Acceptance Quality Limits (AQL) sampling plans.
- Ability to work independently within a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize workload and make educated quality decisions.
- Computer literacy using MS Office, Outlook and ERP software is mandatory.
- High attention to detail with excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.