Thorlabs, Inc. is looking for talented and motivated Mechanical Engineers (BS minimum, MS preferred) with a proven record of industry and academic achievement. The successful candidate must show strong analytical and communication skills, be comfortable doing hands-on work, be a self-starter, be detail oriented, organized and disciplined in completing work assignments and be prepared to thrive in a collaborative environment.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
• Design and develop opto-mechanical structures for company's advanced products and other optical devices in company's R&D efforts
• Responsible for mechanical drawings from prototyping to production
• Performing basic optical calculations and simulations in conjunction with mechanical design to verify the design meets the specification
• Communicating with vendors, machine shops, to solve any problem encountered during manufacturing the mechanical parts
• Maintaining related documentations such as BOMs
• May also be assigned some tasks in helping any mechanical or optical engineering need in the production line
• System level thinking and cross-disciplinary interactions
• Experience in a similar field preferred
• BS in Mechanical Engineering, optics or instrumentation, MS preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong skills and experiences with mechanical drawing software packages, such as SolidWorks, is a must.
• Experiences on mechanical design for applications of optical devices and knows how to use a 3D printer, a plus
• Basic knowledge of optical design in free space optics and fiber optics.
• Good communications skills, both oral and written, technical presentation skills a plus
• Excellent decision-making skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Desire to work in a collaborative environment
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.