Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
The position is responsible for evaluating different imaging modalities, and their suitability to Thorlabs customers, as well as designing systems to implement those techniques. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Develops, prototypes and tests Life Science Imaging Systems.
- Documents project work and, at times, may lead projects and technical discussions
- Works with manufacturing on prototype units
- Develops, monitors and maintains product development schedules
- Creates specifications and technical documentation as well as technical reports to recommend solutions to complex technical problems
- May write and develop effective presentations for training or developing and incorporating solutions in line with changing technologies
- May be asked to install systems at customer locations and provide product training when needed
- Mentor less experienced engineers/draftsman to assure their knowledge and skills provide them the experience they need to complete assigned projects independently, efficiently, and safely.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
- 5 years of complex system integration and development
- BS minimum to Ph.D. or equivalent in Optics, Electrical Engineering, or Physics
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong imaging system design, development, integration, and troubleshooting skills
- Strong optics and photonics working knowledge, including imaging optics and illumination
- Solid fundamental knowledge of inverted and upright microscopes and associated techniques in both wide-field and Fluorescence microscopy
- Integration of motion control subsystems into imaging systems
- Ability to propose creative, robust, and effective image or signal analysis solutions to challenging problems
- Desirable skills and experience:
- Whole-slide scanning
- Image analysis and machine vision
- Image classification and segmentation techniques
- Scientific digital cameras and apps
- Applied MATLAB programming
- Electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, voltmeters, etc.)
- C/C and/or C#/.NET application or utility development using Visual Studio
- Some device or equipment commercialization
- Whole-slide scanning
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.