Thorlabs is a manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems. Our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems. Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments. Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Responsible for set-up and operation of CNC machines in compliance with inch and metric drawing specifications. Possess the ability operating and performing set ups on both vertical and horizontal milling machines. Responsible for the proper use and maintenance of all measuring tools and devices used in inspection of all components. Works under general supervision. Although the location of the position is in Sterling, VA, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
• Performs set ups on both Vertical and Horizontal CNC Milling Machines (3 & 4 axis).
o Experience with Okuma, Mazak and Fanuc controls.
o Understanding of manual programming (G codes/M codes).
o Familiar with the operation of DNC systems.
• Machines and/or fabricating precision tools and fixturing to tight tolerances and complex geometries based on specifications.
• Solid understanding of mechanical design and dimensioning principles which includes reading blueprints and geometric tolerances comprehension.
• Demonstrates a high level of knowledge in programming and overall machine operation.
• Understands material properties (rates of expansion, strength, hardness) and special machining requirements.
• Measures, inspects and troubleshoots dimensions of finished work pieces to ensure conformance to specifications.
• Completes routine and priority tasks defined by management to ensure on time deliveries.
• Performs periodic machine maintenance such as but not limited to dismantling or partly dismantling machines and performing repairs that mainly involve the use of hand tools in scraping and fitting parts.
• Comply with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
• Minimum 4 years of experience in a similar position preferred plus training in CNC Programming
• High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
• CNC certification or CNC Trade School, a major plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of Lean Principles including "Just in Time", and Setup Time Reduction a plus
• Prototyping experience a plus
• Strong sense of ownership and work ethic, written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient computer skills are required
• Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
• Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.