Metal Finisher Racker
Metal Finisher Racker
Thorlabs is a manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems. Our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems. Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments. Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended
Performs a variety of technical operations, exhibits exceptional quality and quantity, and is a critical component in the success & the flow of the metal finishing operation. Top priority is to support the anodizing line & works under general supervision. The location of the position is in Newton, NJ, but from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Primary duty includes racking/un-racking parts to be processed on the automated anodizing line
- Prepare parts for racking, e.g., plugging holes
- Perform in-process manual rinsing and/or inspection route steps
- Responsible for validating order quantities against the production orders
- Inspects parts before & after being anodized to ensure quality standards are being maintained
- Inspects parts for color uniformity and bleed out conditions and notifies operator of any issues
- Wraps or loads parts into trays for safe transportation to other Thorlabs locations
- Performs necessary maintenance of the anodizing racks to ensure quality will not be diminished
- Responsible for general maintenance such as sweeping, mopping, emptying trash cans, etc.
- Responsible for efficiently unloading trucks and storing hazardous materials safely
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meet standards re.quantity & quality of ongoing work, performing work related tasks in compliance with all Company policies & procedures. Adhering to Company policies, procedures, & directives re. standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Physical Activities: Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Harmful chemicals and chemical fumes are present in the building but systems and processes are in place to minimize or eliminate exposure.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a maintenance shop or manufacturing environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong sense of ethical conduct, workplace safety and high quality work standards.
- Strong ability to take initiative/ownership and ability to work well in a group atmosphere
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Solving problems & dealing with variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form