Electronics Engineer, Embedded
Electronics Engineer, Embedded
The person hired to fill this position is responsible for design and development of advanced optoelectronic systems, from component level up to full system integration. As part of a small team, engineers focus on new product development with the expectation to work with limited guidance on complex engineering activities in a fast- paced environment. The position conceives, designs, prototypes, tests and transitions microcontroller-based hardware for control, data acquisition, and post-processing of high fidelity optical signals. Activities include design, modeling, design documentation, prototype verification and debug, test development and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting of complex electronics and systems and is committed to customer satisfaction. Although the location of the position is nominally in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be necessary to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Develop embedded electronics for optoelectronic systems.
- Programming in C with some assembly where performance requires
- Participates in cross-functional new product development teams as a digital electronics design expert.
- Support electronic and electrical component, circuit, and board design for embedded mixed-signal systems.
- Performance testing for new electronic designs including embedded systems and subsystems.
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause of circuit design, board design, and fabrication failures.
- Participate in lab testing of prototype equipment and embedded/mixed-signal performance improvements.
- Modeling of mixed-signal systems, including use of Matlab and Python.
- Other embedded/electronics activities as business conditions evolve.
- 5 years of embedded design experience required.
- Experience with data processing (digital filtering, controls etc.) for embedded systems. Optoelectronic and FPGA experience a plus.
- Extensive experience with the firmware development process is a must; including code development, simulation, synthesis, and timing closure.
- Experience interfacing peripherals including ADCs, external memory, DACs, camera chips, SERDES transceivers, etc.
- Experience with analog circuit simulation and mixed signal circuit optimization a plus.
- Minimum of a B.S Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from an accredited university
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation such as function generators, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, and logic analyzers.
- IEEE-488 automation of test equipment is desirable. Python a plus.
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic, written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills is a must.
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high-quality standards.
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments.
- Experience with dsPIC, ARM or equivalent products and development tools.
- Familiarity with Git or similar Source Control tools.
- Experience with A/D converters, D/A converters, and/or other serial protocols.
- Experience with implementation and optimization of control algorithms in microcontrollers.
- Familiarity with digital circuit design and Boolean logic; VHDL or Verilog a plus.
- Mixed Signal PCB design is a plus. Industry-standard EDA a must.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Thorlabs is a manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems. Our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems. Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments. Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.