Senior Electrical Engineer
Senior Electrical Engineer
The position conceives, designs and prototypes systems and circuits. Activities include documentation, vendor management, prototyping, and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting complex electronics and system problems, and being committed to customer satisfaction. This level builds on experience gained as Electrical Engineer by either obtaining more depth in specific subject area with the expectation that assignments are larger and more complex, or by gaining experience in more subject areas. Although the location of the position is in Londonderry, NH, up to 10% travel may be required to customer locations and other ThorLabs sites.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop electronics for precision scientific instruments and peripherals
- Develop firmware to control and monitor a number of optical, mechanical and electrical components within one integrated system
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline and costs
- Manage electronic component vendors and contract manufacturers
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics related system issues
- Manage electronics engineering documentation and material specifications
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- 5 years' experience with electronics design for scientific, industrial, biotech, medical, or semiconductor instrumentation
- Substantial experience in analog/digital low noise design, simulation and implementation
- LASER projection and/or beam steering systems, LIDAR, precision optical encoders
- Control systems, signal processing
- Knowledge of statistical analysis, process control, tolerance studies
- Automated test and data acquisition
- Experience with schematic capture and PCB layout
- Design work with Xilinx, Altera, Sharc or Zynq processors
- Experience with OrCAD, Altium Designer, SolidWorks a Plus
- Substantial experience in power electronics
- Master's degree in Electronics Engineering or experience in a related field such as Mechatronics and Scientific Instrumentation
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as microprocessor and microcontroller based control and monitoring circuits
- Knowledge of C/C environment is a must
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems
- Experience with test and debugging of DSP and FPGA
- Strong communication skills and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working in a team environment.
- Strong innovation skills.
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.