Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of the Role:
This position exits to advance Timken's bearing modeling capabilites by discovering, developing, and implementing new knowledge base on general tribology research and bearing fundamentals.
An individual holding this position is expected to be experienced in tribology and have a good understanding of bearing fundamentals including contact mechanics. Responsibilities of this position include the following:
1. Conceive, plan, and execute tribology and rheology investigations in support of Timken's core businesses in friction management and power transmission. Critically analyze data and report technical results.
2. Lead cross functional teams to develop new products and actively explore options to improve existing products.
3. Develop and implement advanced models for bearing analysis using concepts in contact mechanics, EHL and dynamics.
4. Analyze and troubleshoot problems in customer's bearing applications and develop innovative solutions using sound judgment and disciplined engineering practices.
4. Maintain a working Rheology lab whose function is to conduct cutting edge research and deliver results for rheological modeling and friction predictions.
5. Establish and maintain liaison with individuals both inside and outside of the company, specifically with universities, technical societies, suppliers, and customers.
6. Represent Timken by giving presentations and publishing high quality technical research papers
Technical and Functional Skills:
Technical background: A general tribologist with a solid background in bearing fundamentals is needed. Skills in contact mechanics, dynamics, EHL and general chemistry are preferred. Chemical knowledge of lubricants and additives would be beneficial. Good problem-solving skills are essential for this role.
Project management: Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and execute project responsibilities.
Team skills: Ability to work effectively with coworkers and as part of a larger technical team
Programming skills: Coding experience with MATLAB is preferred. Experience with other languages (C++, C# and Fortran) is a plus.
Analytical skills: Ability to collect, organize, analyze, and interpret large datasets
Technical writing: Ability to write and publish technical reports
- Master's degree in Engineering with 5+ years of relevant industrial experience, or
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering with focus on tribology.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.