The position maintains, tests and repairs a variety of instrumentation and equipment. The primary job is to make sure that instruments, gauges, and testing devices are identified, calibrated correctly and give accurate readings. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Collect and organize technical data from equipment manufacturers, equipment users and engineering personnel.
- Interact with Manufacturing, Laboratory, and Maintenance, Metrology and Engineering staff members as well as other internal/external customers.
- Review and confirm completion of work orders in Dynamics AX 2012.
- Gather Quotations for and purchase Gages and other calibrated items needed for manufacturing.
- Manage Vendor Loans of Gages for manufacturing
- Store and maintain Gage inventory as well as other calibrated items.
- Training shop technicians, ordering replacement parts for faulty equipment, and researching advances in calibration techniques.
- Perform calibrations and scheduled preventive maintenance on analytical and other laboratory instruments.
- Quickly identify and correct measurement errors.
- Compile, measure and record data from each instrument for other technicians and managers to review.
- Assist with control systems start-up and validation.
- Report practical recommendations and an assessment of any potential cost overruns.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in quality control function in manufacturing environment preferred
- Optics or Manufacturing inspection experience preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to learn, understand, and effectively apply sampling plans.
- Skilled in the usage of hand held measuring tools and devices including but not limited to calipers and micrometers.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to operate in both individual and team environments.
- Capable of reading mechanical drawings and interpret dimensional tolerances.
- Adaptable to process and procedure changes.
- Capacity to convert from imperial to metric measurements.
- Ability to meet department standards for productivity and quality.
- Computer literacy using MS Office, Outlook and ERP software is mandatory.
- Must have the ability to cross train on all areas of the department, including but not limited to visual and dimensional inspection, data entry, laser engravers, and metrology equipment.
- High attention to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.