Supplier Quality Technician
The Supplier Quality Technician for the Mechanics group is responsible for, but not limited to, coordination of the growing supply chain for custom precision machined components to meet the current and future needs of the company. This individual will communicate and maintain the high quality manufacturing standards for Thorlabs' components and products. They will uphold and create vendor relations by providing pricing feedback, communicating technical support and issue resolutions, offering guidance/training and product samples.
The ideal candidate should be highly organized with a vast attention to detail bringing energy, enthusiasm, and a strong willingness to learn supply chain management and identify quality in order to deliver the best value to our customers. This position works under general supervision and direction within a manufacturing team environment. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, it would be required to travel to vendor facilities (mainly local) and possibly other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Run vendor capacity, quality, and on-time performance reports for critical suppliers.
- Communicate underperforming suppliers to management.
- Request and organize product quotations and pricing communications.
- Suggest primary suppliers based on performance reports.
- Forward blueprint errors and supplier feedback to engineering or purchasing departments.
- Participate in supplier visits, audits, and evaluations.
- Communicate and assist with troubleshooting or resolution of vendor related issues and concerns.
- Review price increases and requote when necessary; communicate product margin concerns to management.
- Learn to research, qualify, assist, and review new machining vendors while providing samples, reviewing Thorlabs' Manufacturing
- Standards, and offering best practice tips.
- Suggest ways to improve and grow the manufacturing supply chain.
- Maintain awareness of critical inventory conditions and product urgencies while communicating production, manufacture, and supply concerns to management.
- Assist and ensure suppliers meet Thorlabs' Manufacturing Standards and performance expectations.
- 0-5 years experience within a supply chain or manufacturing environment.
- High school diploma, trade school, or related certification required.
- Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Knowledge of machine shop equipment and blueprint understanding a plus.
- Capable of problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong ability to work independently within a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.