Senior Process Engineer Metrology
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
- This position exists within the Corporate Manufacturing Engineering Team to develop and deploy bearing component inspection processes, and to automate input file generation for metrology and non-metrology equipment. This position is responsible for supporting all global bearing manufacturing facilities.
- The Precision Engineering candidate will be involved in developing and supporting new metrology processes for all aspects of bearing dimensional, profile and form inspection. Each metrology process must meet Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA) and cycle time requirements for process routing. The candidate will closely collaborate with global manufacturing plants and other internal departments, such as Corporate Product Design, Quality, and Technology (R&D) teams, to continuously ensure our metrology process meet new or updated bearing requirements.
- The candidate will work with corporate asset leaders and plant process engineers to automate the delivery of part parameter input files to metrology and non-metrology equipment. For automation of metrology equipment input file generation, the candidate will mostly work independently. For automation of non-metrology equipment input file generation, the candidate will collaborate with plants and corporate asset leaders to capture input file requirements.
- GAUGING SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (SME) - Become the Corporate SME for electronic bearing inspection processes such as Roundness, Form, Optical, and Surface Finish gauging. Create parametric inspection programs on commercial gauging platforms from Taylor Hobson, Jenoptik, Hommel, and others. Provides training and mechanical/electrical troubleshooting assistance to global manufacturing engineering and plant teams.
- GAUGING STRATEGY - Participates in developing the corporate gauging strategy and continuous improvement (CI) efforts. Stays abreast of new gauging, inspection, and metrology technology and is involved in providing recommendations for quality or cost reduction opportunities.
- MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS - Applies mathematical and statistical skills for analysis in evaluating gauging system performance including Gauge R&R studies.
- NEW PRODUCTS - Develops solutions for inspection methodologies in support of new product launches.
- PROCESS EQUIPMENT AND ROUTING RULES - Load equipment information and capabilities into Timken’s input file generation system and develop process routing rules in collaboration with process engineers, driven by product configuration.
- EQUIPMENT INPUT FILE AUTOMATION - Transform equipment input file requirements into code (similar to Excel macro language) within Timken input file generation system. Work with the Information Technology and Product Design departments to insure the availability of master product data.
- CAPITAL PROJECTS - Ability to specify, procure, evaluate, develop, optimize, and deploy gauging inspection solutions for our global manufacturing locations to assure product quality.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Leads, plans, controls budget, and provides regular project updates. Ability to formally summarize accomplishments, status, and issues in presentation and report formats, and work in a team environment.
- TRAVEL - willingness to travel both domestically and internationally to Timken manufacturing plants and/or supplier locations - required periodically (occasionally for extended durations) at approximately 25%, depending on active projects.
- Bearing component measurement systems and methods – electrical and mechanical preferred.
- Basic machine control systems (both software and hardware), troubleshooting, and system integration knowledge.
- Manufacturing background - bearing technology preferred.
- New commercial gauging/metrology technology awareness.
- Proven deployment experience of gauging systems.
- Ability to read basic electrical schematics.
- Microsoft Office Suite (EXCEL/ACCESS/POWERPOINT/WORD) applications.
- Strong Microsoft Excel capabilities – Visual Basic Language would be a benefit, but not required
- Technical/analytical software applications such as MATLAB, LABVIEW, JMP (statistical analysis).
- Familiarization with ISO Inspection Standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Controls (preferred) or Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience, or master’s degree with a minimum of 1-2 years relevant experience.
- USA Citizen or Green Card Holder.
- Precision engineering
- Metrology experience
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.