Principal Product Development Engineer
Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of the Role:
Timken seeks an experienced mechanical engineer and/or applied mathematics to join our R&D team to support the application of theoretical tribology by developing algorithms to predict the performance of rolling element bearings. Other related topics for this role may include modeling of elasticity, power losses, heat transfer, and system level .
An individual holding this position is expected to be experienced in applied mathematics and have a good working understanding of mechanical engineering disciplines.
Responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Conceive, plan, and execute bearing related solutions in support of Timken's core business.
- Critically analyze data and report technical results.
- Lead cross functional teams to develop new products and actively explore options to improve existing products.
- Develop and implement advanced models for bearing analysis using concepts in classical elasticity, contact mechanics, heat transfer, EHL and dynamics.
- Analyze and troubleshoot problems in customer's bearing applications and develop innovative solutions using sound judgment and disciplined engineering practices.
- Establish and maintain liaison with individuals both inside and outside of the company, specifically with universities, technical societies, suppliers, and customers.
- Represent Timken externally by giving presentations and publishing high quality technical research papers.
Technical and Functional Skills:
Technical background: A generalist with a solid background in applied mathematical modeling of mechanical engineering disciplines is required and a background in tribology would be beneficial. Good problem-solving skills are essential to this role.
Project management: Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and execute project responsibilities.
Team Skills: Ability to work effectively with coworkers and as part of a larger technical team.
Programming skills: Coding experience with Matlab is preferred.
Analytical Skills: Ability to collect, organize, analyze and interpret differing algorithms.
Technical writing: Ability to write and publish technical reports
- Master's degree in Engineering with 5 years of relevant industrial experience, or
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering with focus on applied mathematics or related.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Join one of the World's Most Ethical Companies® – an honor we've received ten times.
The Timken Company designs a growing portfolio of engineered bearings and power transmission products that improve the reliability and efficiency of global machinery and equipment to move the world forward. Timken posted $3.8 billion in sales in 2019 and employs more than 17,000 people globally, operating from 42 countries.
Why Choose Timken?
- Over a century of knowledge and innovation
- A culture of top performance
- A global, diverse environment
- Products that contribute to a sustainable world
- A conviction to improve communities around us
- Competitive salary and benefits