Manufacturing Engineer - Assembly
Manufacturing Engineer - Assembly
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Purpose of the Position
Thorlabs is one of the world's best manufacturers of optomechanical products for the photonics industry. Our assembly department is responsible for the final assembly and packaging of thousands of finished good items. The manufacturing engineer would work closely with but independently from the department to ensure that all aspects of this process are being continually improved in order to deliver better value to our customers.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate the addition of newly designed products into the assembly department
- Improve assembly instructions, tools, and jigs for legacy products
- Define and implement COGS reduction efforts
- Update drawings and designs to improve manufacturability
- Work with Quality
- Implement and support in-process automation
- Support and improve clean room assembly procedures, equipment, and processes
- Utilize automation to improve the assembly process
- Solve and improve packaging
- Support and train assembly during new product introductions
- Support the additional demand from specials and OEM business
- 3 years of experience
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Similar
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- ISO Documentation
- Strong sense of ownership and work ethic, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.