Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers
The Laser Division is looking for a dynamic and driven Engineering Technician. The highly self-motivated candidate would be responsible for the assembly and occasional troubleshooting of opto-mechanical and electronic products and systems. Technician must be comfortable working in a high-paced environment, interacting with an international team and dealing with shifting priorities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Mechanical, electrical, and optical assembly of Photonic systems following written procedures and instructions
- Optical alignment of non-laser optical systems
- Performing measurements and filling out production/QC records
- Regularly updating engineers and supervisors on progress, issues and concerns related to the production/QC process and specific system builds.
- Providing feedback and recommendations for process improvement.
- Recognizing and documenting failures and taking appropriate action to resolve those problems.
- Supports the R&D efforts of the group with prototyping basic designs
- 3 years of years of experience in a similar position
- Associate's degree in Electronics, Engineering, Laser/Electro-optics Technology or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Good Mechanical aptitude is required
- Proficiency in computer use and communication tools is required
- Basic understanding of Optical alignment is a plus
- Familiarity with Cleanroom environments is a plus
- Experience soldering is a plus
- Experience with electronics troubleshooting equipment such as oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer is a plus
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.