Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This self-leader within Timken's Research & Development team provides expert knowledge and
leadership in smart manufacturing and machine controls related to manufacturing & assembly of bearing and power transmission components.
The ideal candidate will have a solid understanding and be experienced in machine control systems, shop floor systems automation, controller networking, and communications to higher-level systems. They will have experience in PLC and HMI programming, CNC connectivity, data mapping, and collection. In this critical role, he/she will develop skills to provide input to the long-term smart manufacturing strategy. In addition, this position will evolve to become a widely recognized smart manufacturing authority and consultant in formulating and directing efforts within Timken to lead smart manufacturing development.
The individual holding this position will also provide controls of design and development as well as occasional support for a variety of manufacturing processes and assets including machining, measurement, and automation.
- SMART MANUFACTURING (IOT/Industry 4.0) - Research, design, develop, and implement solutions based on business needs and customer requirements to deliver value. Create scalable solutions for business enterprises. Develop a smart manufacturing strategy. Develop/modify PLC ladder logic and HMI programming to gather key data. Work with Corporate IT regularly on plant integration activities
- INDUSTRY TRENDS - Remain up to date on the latest industry trends in smart manufacturing. Attend trade shows, webinars, training, etc.
- UNIVERSITY RELATIONS - Work with universities to develop technologies of interest.
- STANDARDS/PROCEDURES - Design/implement processes and standards of data collection from equipment, and hardware selection, and develop/implement a data model for the Smart Manufacturing program. Create schematics and design documents for installations and keep current for as-installed reference and troubleshooting.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Utilizes appropriate tools/methodology to plan resources and ensure timely completion.
- TECHNOLOGY TRANSFORMATION - Lead the development of implementation plans for newly-developed processes working with Manufacturing R&D, Product Design & Development as needed for support and system training. Design pilot/proof of concept for new technologies
- TRAVEL - Perform site surveys to evaluate machines, existing wiring, and network availability, and propose options for machine connectivity to meet data collection needs. International and/or domestic travel is required to support the pilot and 1st implementation. Maximum travel 15%.
Technical/Functional Skills Required
- Networking and communication protocols for automatic machine data collection.
- Data Analytics/Science, visualization Background (preferred)
- Sensor Background - Machine tool application (preferred)
- AI/ML Background (preferred)
- Demonstrated manufacturing process controls design, development, support & hands-on troubleshooting
- Machine Control System Hardware/Software Design - Rockwell, Siemens, GE Fanuc, Mitsubishi PLCs, and CNC controllers.
- Motion Control & Robotics Hardware/Software Design
- Familiarity with national/international machine electrical standards (UL, NEC, CE)
- AUTOCAD Electrical
- Ability to make fact-based recommendations for technical applications
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams
- Industrial Automation Experience (preferred)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineer or Computer Science. 0-5 years experience with Industrial Control and Automation Systems or Smart Manufacturing
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineer or Computer Science. 5-10 years of experience with Industrial Control and Automation Systems or Smart Manufacturing
- Masters in Electrical Engineer or Computer Science. 0-5 years experience with Industrial Control and Automation Systems or Smart Manufacturing
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.