Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: The Area Manager is responsible for managing the overall manufacturing process from component to finished assembly for the Diamond Chain Dept., consisting of Team Leads, operators, and set up associates. This position provides leadership and direction to operations leaders and associates in a multi-zoned, multi-shift department in order to meet customer demand. The position drives strategies for improvement in the areas of safety, quality, delivery and cost through extensive continuous improvement manufacturing process knowledge. The Area Manager accomplishes these goals via the leadership and direction of supervisory, production support, and team leader associates, and via the indirect leadership of and in cooperation with operative associates in their work area. The Area Manager works closely with leaders providing growth and support in communication with and motivating/leading people in a positive culture fostering the right environment for positive success at all levels building teamwork and maintaining team relations through professional challenges and educating associates.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for overall flow of the manufacturing process from component to complete chain level for product lines, ensuring there is a connection between internal suppliers and customers. Develop, implement, and execute advanced equipment and manning capacity models to ensure demand swings are met.
- Responsible for the development, planning and execution against KPIs (safety, quality, cost, delivery, productivity, and morale), as well as Takt production plan, and annual cost center budget.
- Manage use of SAP tools for productivity results and analysis.
- Manage schedule execution for daily and weekly production schedules.
- Develop team and execute daily management and problem solving activities.
- Drive safety initiatives and strategy for area of responsibility and implement improvement plans. Ensure ongoing operator safety and a safe work environment by promptly addressing safety hazards, minimizing workplace accidents, and proactively involving associates in the continuous improvement of safety.
- Communicate regularly with direct and indirect reports across regarding customer production requirements and key issues effecting delivery including internal/external quality, equipment status/availability, resource availability.
- Identify opportunities for cost savings through lean practices such as inventory reduction, flow day reduction, cost of manufacturing. Demonstrate the responsibilities of a lean leader and drive a lean culture in the facility. Ensure associates are engaged and are participating in continuous improvement efforts.
- Facilitate the Talent Management Process to create high-performing teams and a pipeline of ready leadership. Lead goal-setting, coaching, counseling, mentoring, and career development processes with associates. Identify training and needs and create a training strategy to meet customer expectations.
- Ensure compliance with and communication of company policies and procedures. Demonstrate Timken's core values and lead by example.
- Planning function to meet production and demand plans.
- Ensure equipment preventative maintenance.
- Strong leadership, critical thinking and communication skills (verbal & written)
- Prior manufacturing management experience
- Experience developing equipment and manning capacity models
- Strong systemic-thinking and advanced problem-solving skills
- Lean Manufacturing experience or certification.
- Production or materials planning experience.
- Proficient PC skills (MS Office including Excel, databases).
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Manufacturing, Engineering, or Business Administration required. Plus, 5-7 years of applicable experience required. 20 or more years of relevant experience in lieu of degree may suffice.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.