Responsible for proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Prepare and maintain complex financial statements and reports.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Prepares and enters journal entries for general ledger accounts. Areas of responsibility may include cash, prepaids, inventory, and accruals. Audits journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records for accuracy.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of monthly financial statements for management review and assists with the budget development.
- Analyzes financial reports and records, making recommendations relative to the accounting reserves, assets and expenditures.
- Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
- Performs ad hoc analysis and develops or recommends accounting methods and procedures
- Coordinates accounting matters with other departments, locations and divisions.
- Assists with coordinating activities of associates performing accounting and bookkeeping tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Nature and Scope
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems. Makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty, sometimes with incomplete information, that produce effective end results.
- Independently performs assignments with instruction limited to the expected results. Determines and develops an approach to solutions. Receives technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues.
- May oversee the completion of projects and assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc. Contributes to employees' professional development but does not have hiring or firing authority.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Education and Experience
- Typically requires BS/BA in a related discipline. Generally 5-8 years of experience in a related field OR MS/MA and generally 3-5 years of experience in a related field. Certification is required in some areas.