Responsible for establishing merchandising objectives for a category or categories of merchandise. Drive the financial planning process and manage the process from recommending targets to pricing optimization. Drive the assortment planning process, from business performance review to supplier negotiations. Create operational plans used in SOAR execution. Oversee the supplier management strategy and works to source and rationalize suppliers to meet business needs. Responsible for approximately $150 million in business dollars.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Acts as primary decision maker on merchandising and finance operational issues. Utilizes current market data (industry/competitive) to drive merchandising strategy. Determines consumers to target for a specific category and collaboratively decides the strategic direction of the business segment.
- Executes and manages visual merchandising, new concept development, marketing / catalog, vendor services, inventory management, and supply chain issues.
- Responsible for developing and executing plan to meet annual financial goals which include Sales Performance, Category Profitability and Category Inventory Productivity.
- Makes decisions and manages supplier strategy (e.g. import vs. domestic, national vs. proprietary). Reviews the supplier portfolio on a ongoing basis to ensure suppliers maintain the bandwidth to support changing needs. Works with key functions to source new suppliers.
- Manages projects within a business function (e.g. capital). Acts as the project champion and assists with setting the overall direction and defining the measures of success.
Nature and Scope
- Solutions require analysis and investigation.
- Achieves planned results by decisions and actions based on professional methods, business principles, and practical experience.
- Manages a group or team of professional individual contributors and/or indirectly supervises support staff.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
Education and Experience
- Typically requires BS/BA in a related discipline. Generally 7+ years of experience in a related field. May require certification. Advanced degree may offset less experience in some disciplines.