Fiber Manufacturing Production Supervisor
The Fiber Manufacturing Production Supervisor provides leadership, guidance and supervision for the assigned area. This individual will work closely with management to ensure quality products are safely and efficiently produced within scheduled timeline. This position supervises all employees in the assigned area and is responsible for their hiring, training and performance management. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Comply with safety regulations including but not limited to chemical handling, personal protective equipment and equipment utilization.
- Supervision of all personnel within assigned group and include:
- Ensure new and existing employees are trained to perform their job tasks and have the proper training records.
- Ensures that the production goal for volume and quality is met. Maintain workflow through the production floor
- Develops to build a successful team, facilitate change, and align group performance to company values utilizing the company Performance Management system.
- Interview new hires to fill openings as well as keeping capacity matched to demand.
- Ensure compliance to Department and Company policies and implementation of corrective steps when needed with the assistance of Management and Human Resources.
- Mediate disagreements between employees.
- Monitor attendance, complete performance assessments; make promotion and termination recommendations as necessary.
- Create a positive work environment where employees are engaged.
- Oversight of product output:
- Ensure that practices and procedures followed are in accordance with Thorlabs Quality
- Management System and Advanced Photonics Instructions.
- Responsible for frequent checks of product quality and resolves production any resulting quality issues that may arise.
- Work with Production Planning/Purchasing to establish and maintain a schedule that optimizes On Time Delivery.
- Advise on design and lead times for Custom and OEM products to ensure on time deliveries.
- Manage system to ensure consumables and assembly supplies are accounted for and always available.
- Ensure Instructions are updated as needed, accurate and repeatable.
- Report problems and opportunities for improvement to Engineering team and help to implement solutions.
- Partner with Facility Engineering to perform Preventative Maintenance and minimize downtime.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar and progressive position with supervisory/leadership experience preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: basic math skills and proficient in using a computer
- Trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
- General Industrial Safety knowledge
- Ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.