Manufacturing Technician I, Optics
At this entry level position, the individual will be introduced to manufacturing processes, procedures, and handling of precision optical components. Items include but are not limited to Prisms, Lenses, Windows, Mirrors etc. made form specialty glasses and crystals.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Introduction into the proper handling and cleaning of precision optical components.
- Learn and understand how to use the metrology required to measure and qualify precision components.
- Develop an understanding of the manufacturing of precision optical components by grinding of glass and/or crystal components.
- Train on the operations of precision optical manufacturing machinery; surface grinding, edging machines, ID and OD saws, core drills, conventional lapping spindles etc.
- Must be able to interpret technical drawings and written work instructions to produce products to industry standards.
- Keeps supervisor apprised of unresolved and/or potential problems that would negatively affect production.
- Inspects all work before passing on to the next operations and/or to inventory.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Entry level position
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, Technicians should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination to not only assemble but grind and precisely place pieces. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work cell areas may be noisy at times.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.