Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: This position requires the use of complicated drawings and specifications, advanced mathematics, a wide variety of precision measuring instruments, and broad trade knowledge equivalent to training received in a formal registered apprentice program. Requires experience in reading complex product drawings and geometric symbols. Must be fully proficient in basic quality and process control functions of all production departments. Shall maintain a working knowledge of receiving and final inspection functions to assist as necessary. Ability to write standard operating procedures and troubleshooting techniques to effectively document processes and solve problems. Primary responsibility is to manage the quality-related activities of the assigned area. This broad responsibility includes communication, training, trouble-shooting, problem solving, analysis and follow-up, and whatever it takes to assure quality and ongoing improvement. Perform complete examination of set-up samples to established requirements. Responsibilities include review of print/control plan, verification of gauges, and operator instruction. As necessary, the technician is expected to follow up and monitor known or suspected sources of quality problems.
Essential Job Duties:
- Willingness to learn and understand the Diamond Chain product line by utilizing the quality standards.
- Must be willing to learn the Layer Process Audit system as it relates to TQMS.
- Assess technical capabilities and training needs of operators and provide training and support as necessary.
- Issue/retrieve gages as required and instruct operators in the proper use of gages.
- Perform general maintenance, calibration and documentation to established procedures.
- Perform routine lab analysis and approval of heat-treated product per established sampling plans.
- Perform various physical tests such as tensile strength, pin and bushing push off, etc.
- Monitor and support established SPC applications.
- Perform capability studies and collect raw data to support Engineering and Tool Room projects.
- Identify, segregate, and document nonconforming materials.
- Follow up rejections to identify causes and ensure effective corrective action.
- Audit system compliance and initiate system changes where deficiencies are identified.
- Must be knowledgeable in and practice all safety procedures.
- Must have willingness to help out in production, including welding, picking parts, and perform any other duties as required or directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: A minimum of an Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school is preferred for this position. High school diploma or GED required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Certification: American Society of Quality (ASQ) Certification preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, and use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes, and any other PPE required for the task, at all times while on the plant floor.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.