Manufacturing Technician Level 2 Polisher
The position is responsible for the fabrication of precision optical components using established procedures and processes. Items include but are not limited to, Prisms, Lenses, Windows, Mirrors etc. made from specialty glasses and/or crystals. This position is also responsible for training of other optics manufacturing technicians. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning, handling, and packaging of precision optical components.
- Inspects all work before passing on to the next operations and/or to inventory using advanced metrology tools like interferometers, autocollimators, and test plates.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
- Proficient in MIL-PRF-13830B manufacturing standards.
- Works with supervisor to alleviate issues that would negatively affect production.
- Understanding of various causes and mitigation of subsurface damage.
- Polish glass in high volume to ?/10 and 10-5 surface quality with less than 5% rejected annually.
- Polish crystalline material in volume to ?/8 and 20-10 surface quality with less than 10% rejected annually.
- Adept in various blocking techniques like pitch, wax, sweat, WAMP and optical contacting.
- Capable of maintaining and operating various polishing machines: hand, conventional, CP, double sided and CNC.
Employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, Technicians should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination to not only assemble but grind and precisely place pieces. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. The work cell areas may be noisy at times.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.