Senior Packaging Engineer
Stratas Foods LLC is the leading supplier of fats and oils to the Foodservice, Food Ingredients and Retail Private Label markets in North America and is a producer of quality bulk and packaged dressings, mayonnaise and sauces. Stratas Foods was formed in October 2008 as a 50/50 joint venture between ACH Food Companies (ACH) and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM).
Manufacturing facilities are located in Dallas and Houston, TX; Decatur and Quincy, IL; Englewood, NJ; Fresno, CA; Nashville, TN; and Valdosta, GA. Corporate offices are located in Memphis, TN.-We are committed to maintaining a progressive workplace by utilizing the ideas, skills and talents of all of our employees. We strive to make Stratas Foods a great place to work and are building a team capable of meeting our business goals.
Relocation Assistance is available.
The Senior Packaging Engineer role exists to provide support to Stratas as a packaging equipment and container technology scout, renovation program lead, innovation program team member and an operations technical services partner.
This role is a key enabler for Stratas to achieve industry leading Shortening, Oils, Mayonnaise, Sauces, and Dressings commercialization products placement.
The Senior Packaging Engineer role is a mid-level Product Development position who is responsible for supporting, planning, and overseeing advanced product development initiatives, application testing and participation in internal/external technical training sessions.
Key responsibilities: Packaging Product Development, Technical Support & Service, Applications Testing / Development, Product Specifications, Product Improvements / Cost Savings, Competitive Audits, and Provides Technical Support Outside of the Application Area as Needed / Assigned.
1. Technology Scout
- Responsible for keeping abreast of the latest packaging related technology and optimum material performance to pricing value
- Brings improved method and material concepts forward for potential packaging enhancement or cost savings potential.
- Sales partner in participating in customer visits to engage to identify Stratas solutions for customer needs or to proactively present new and novel Stratas offerings for customer consideration.
- Develops and leads competitive audits to identify development gaps and product improvement opportunities
- Develops and supports a packaging laboratory and library
2. Renovation program lead
- Key stakeholder and input professional to the packaging specification database owned by procurement
- Maintains and continuously improves tooling / package qualification plans, technology transfer documentation (design history files) and final package component specifications, manufacturing specifications, case / cube information cost and savings, estimates, etc
- Ensures specifications and data sheets are accurate and up-to-date for all application areas
- Troubleshoots new and existing packaging problems involving design, material and processes, thus providing timely creative and cost-effective solutions
- Participates in development/execution of internal & external technical training sessions. Assist in trouble shooting and complaint resolution.
- Innovation program team lead –
- Identifies new package types to meet market driven needs (eg. sustainability and others)
- Identifies package types and / or process adjustment that when employed singly or in conjunction drive cost savings / containment
3. Operations tech service partner
- Provides technical support, including leading line trials, to operations and engineering through development and commercialization of a new product, and as needed thereafter.
- Technical Skills -Solid food packaging expertise, strong command of equipment / packaging formats. Basic knowledge of mayonnaise, salad dressings, and sauces formulation and processing. Knowledge of experimental design. Understanding of fats and oils chemistry and processing a plus.
- Judgment – Decisive, exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Strategic Thinking- Displays critical thinking skills, proactive in decision making and makes data based decisions.
- Problem Solving – Leverages a proactive & creative approach to issues/roadblocks. Develops realistic action plans with clearly identified risks and contingencies.
- Education: BS and equivalent Industry Experience.
- Related Experience: Minimum of 10 years Packaging Product Development experience in an ingredient or consumer packaged goods company. Experience in shortening, margarine, mayonnaise, sauces, dressings and condiments preferred.
- Equipment/Software Skills: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Physical: The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is required to travel (approximately 15-20% of the employee's time).
- Sensory: The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is required to use hand and fingers, handle, and or feel and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Mental/Reasoning: Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and and/or board of directors. Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Stratas Foods is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee in any manner prohibited by law, including but not limited to, on the basis of race or color, religion, gender, age, genetic information, national origin/ancestry, mental or physical disability, family status/marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, and any other legally protected status.