Machine Shop Floor Supervisor
This individual is considered the lead man of his or her respected area (Milling or Turning). They are capable of programming, setting up and operating ALL machines in their area to the highest of standards. Generally, they are the person that everyone in their area looks up to and relies on for support. They are responsible for the overall quality in the department. When quality issues arise, they will be required to troubleshoot equipment to ensure maximum throughput in the shop. They will be required to help out and instruct lower grade machinist and operators. Other responsibilities include scheduling work to the proper machine and ensuring that all of the necessary tooling and material is available to run the parts. This individual is second in command when the Shop Manager is off the machine shop floor. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Manage machining, CNC programming, and maintenance staff.
- Provide scheduling of all machines and staff.
- Manage cutting tool selection and inventory control.
- Ensure Periodic Maintenance program is executed and documented.
- Ensure the quality of all shop product and establish sound quality processes
- Identify and build the business case for bringing new manufacturing technology and capacity into the shop
- Support continued compliance with ISO 9001:2000 guidelines, assist in answering corrective actions, prepare procedures, reports, and plans.
- Drive process improvements to reduce set up and machine cycle times.
- Provide and/or coordinate required technical support for all machining and CNC programming staff.
- Responsible to know and enforce all safety and environmental regulations.
- Oversee cross training of machinists to achieve maximum flexibility in personnel.
- Coordinate Design, Development and Proof Out of production tooling between Manufacturing Engineering, CNC programming, Fabrication, and Quality.
- Provide the highest level of internal and external customer service.
- Promote unity and positive morale.
- Ensure cleanliness of work areas
- Ensure performance to meet all production and prototyping requirements of machine shop
- Create updates and presentations as needed for Sr. Management
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Minimum 3 years machine shop management experience
- Experienced with CNC programming
- Experience in machining close tolerance components
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent working experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal, organization and management skills
- Knowledge of all department positions and requirements
- Knowledge of existing processes and procedures to ensure process and productivity improvement
- Knowledge of machining a variety of materials such as aluminum, high performance alloys, bronze, brass and delrin.
- Has machine tool knowledge with precision grinders, mills and lathes
- Familiar with CAD/CAM packages (Gibbs )
- Organizational Relationships
- General Helper, Machinist, Operator
This position is directly responsible for the delegation of tasks and daily work production through a Team Lead role.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.