The position performs a variety of technical operations and exhibits exceptional quality and quantity. The Racking Supervisor position is a critical or key component in the success and the flow of the metal finishing operation. The top priority is to support the rackers and anodizing line in any way that they can. Works under minimal supervision. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Primary responsibilities include overseeing and scheduling the flow of work on the production anodizing line, liaise between 1st and 2nd shifts to ensure a smooth transition between the dayshift and nightshift operations.
- Organize and prioritize parts for racking based on the production schedule that has been set by planning.
- Starts released production orders provided by planning for vendor supplied parts.
- Maintains performance metrics to track overall output and parts that have required rework.
- Maintains sufficient racking to support the volume of work and identify areas that need revised or improved racking.
- Drive process improvements to reduce set up and machine cycle times.
- Plan, implement and perform training, instruction and cross training of Rackers and Team
- Leads on the process of properly choosing the correct rack, rack and un-rack parts to be processed on the automated anodizing line, how to manually rinse blind holes that are in-process ensuring the achievement of highest quality components and maximum flexibility in personnel.
- Provide the highest level of internal and external customer service.
- Promote unity and positive morale.
- Ensure cleanliness of work areas
- Responsible for general maintenance such as sweeping, mopping, emptying trash cans, etc.
- Complies with safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all
- Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- Work may be active, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally. While performing the duties, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Harmful chemicals and chemical fumes are present in the building but systems and processes are in place to minimize or eliminate exposure.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in a maintenance shop or manufacturing environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong sense of ethical conduct
- Strong ability to take initiative/ownership
- Experience leading a team and driving results.
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
- Strong sense of workplace safety
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Rackers, Racking Team Leads. This position has supervisory responsibilities including, hiring, development planning, performance reviews, approval of Paid Time Off (PTO) and disciplinary measures as required.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.