Manufacturing Engineer II
The position is responsible to help oversee and improve the production process for the division, teaching assembly techniques, improving manufacturing process issues, solving production related problems, and promoting quality throughout production and related departments. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for identifying problems, and providing solutions for manufacturing issues relating to newly released products, as well as established production work-flow.
- Plan production layouts helping to facilitate lean manufacturing and six sigma standards.
- Participate in design reviews with engineering department to help identify and discuss proper procedures and potential issues with newly developed products prior to releasing for production.
- Training and collaboration with production personnel to continue improving on existing manufacturing and testing processes throughout the division.
- Interface with engineering and operations to ensure transfer to production of new product releases are in accordance with the approved release processes, requirements, and specifications.
- Work with engineering to help verify test specifications and acceptance criteria for released products, and identify critical dimensions or tolerances for newly released machine parts.
- Collaborate with the RMA and service departments to help inspect and disposition customer returns from the field. Identify, and assist in implementing root cause analysis and corrective actions to prevent future failures.
- Create and maintain manufacturing process documents to reflect current and future conditions.
- Collaborate with technicians and assembly personnel to make necessary changes or revisions to assembly, test, and alignment procedures for Optics division products.
- Create necessary jigs and fixtures to improve production efficiency or reduce component damage and waste.
- Assist in completing engineering changes identified through prototype and pilot runs to increase product manufacturability.
- Help create and maintain production routing steps and timing for newly released, and existing Imaging Systems products.
- Assist in Rev Control and documentation verification using Axapta and the Thorlabs TECM module.
- Keep current with newest manufacturing techniques within the industry and look for opportunities to implement.
- Ensure production techniques and capacity scale with growing demand of products.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a relevant engineering position, or related position in a manufacturing environment desired. Design for Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing experience a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Physics, Engineering (Optical, Mechanical, Production, etc.), or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge such as, but not limited to, Solidworks, Microsoft products, and Axapta.
- Experience with manufacturing, configuration management, and product development in an R&D / New Product Development Environment.
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects Analysis).
- Familiarity with the application of optics and/or the fabrication of glasses and crystal used to create optical components.
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Experience using standard measurement equipment (calipers, micrometers, pin and thread gauges….etc.)
- Strong attention to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.