The position is responsible for performing preventive maintenance, calibration, set-up and troubleshooting of equipment and machinery used for manufacturing and coating of precision optics. Although the location of the position is in Rochester, NY, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Full technical/engineering responsibility for cost effective maintenance of all optical manufacturing and coating machines and supporting systems such as pumps (mechanical, diffusion, and cryo), air pressure, slurry systems, ultrasonic cleaning machines etc.
- Ownership for developing/maintaining maintenance procedures, specifications and documentation
- Provide professional support and training to other equipment operators
- Drive continuous improvement of the maintenance program
- Responsible for troubleshooting and repair of various production equipment
- Complies with all safety regulations and maintains clean and orderly work areas
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all
- Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
- The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. Employees may come in contact with but not limited to acetone and epoxy, and their work cell areas may be noisy at times.
- 5 years' experience in a similar position preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent; AA or BS or MS preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in basic computer use (Word, Excel) and communication tools
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong ability to shift from one task to another to address changing production priorities.
The position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.