Mechanical Shop Inspector II
The MBU Mechanical Shop Inspector position is responsible for upholding the high-quality standards of the Thorlabs supply chain from within the Mechanics group. This individual will inspect the quality and accuracy of high precision mechanical components in compliance with Thorlabs Manufacturing and ISO9001 Quality Standards. They will utilize metrology equipment, knowledge, and creative skills to perform visual and dimensional first piece, in-process, and production sample lot inspections of components produced on internal CNC machinery and manual equipment to ensure compliance to standards and specifications. They must take a customer centric approach, be independent, flexible, and a solid team player with great communication skills. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Unbiased evaluation of internally produced items to blueprint specifications and manufacturing standards.
- Utilize various inspection equipment and methods to measure highly toleranced components.
- Perform and document accurate, efficient, and thorough, dimensional and visual, first article, in-process, and sample lot inspections.
- Recognize critical features, monitor product quality, and communicate shop performance.
- Provide constructive and detailed feedback to managers, machinists, and operators.
- Segregate and clearly mark non-conforming material. Sort and rework product where required.
- Ensure components are handled carefully and protected, as well as clearly marked and organized with accurate quantities.
- Assist intercompany with product inspection needs and measurement training when required.
- Ensure calibrated and well-maintained equipment is utilized and kept up to date.
- Recommend and specify inspection tools, jigs, or fixtures, when necessary.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Continuously strive to improve the quality, processes, procedures, communication, and documentation within the inspection department.
- Minimum 1-2 years of related experience.
- Machine shop experience a plus.
- High School or Trade School diploma or equivalent.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Mechanical aptitude with the ability to troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to interpret mechanical blueprint specifications (metric/imperial) with a general understanding of fit, geometric tolerancing, thread classifications, and metal finishing.
- Knowledge and proficiency with various metrology tools, equipment, and inspection methods, such as a CMM, Vision Systems, Comparators, and Gauges.
- Knowledge to operate a CMM and program Vision System equipment.
- Proficient computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Office and ERP software.
- Ability to work independently within a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize workload and make educated quality decisions.
- High attention to detail with excellent organization, verbal and written communication skills.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.