Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Purpose of Position
This position exists within the corporate Process Design & Development Team at Timken World Headquarters to provide technical expertise, project management and leadership in the design, development, and delivery of process solutions for Timken's various bearing manufacturing plants. This position is ideal for someone who has the capability and the desire to grow technically and develop into a process specialist/leader in bearing manufacturing. The ideal candidate has a good understanding of thermal treatment and metal working processes and can specify, order, implement necessary manufacturing equipment for capital and continuous improvement projects.
- TECHNICAL EXPERTISE: Knowledgeable in heat treatment processes (carburizing, hardening & metallurgy) of bearing components (rings and rollers) and associated product transformations. Should have expertise to support new plant/product/process start-ups around the world and continuous improvement activities at existing manufacturing facilities. This includes developing, applying, and implementing technologies/processes to our manufacturing plants and supply chains
- CAPITAL PROJECT MANAGEMENT - Develop and implement investment proposals to support Timken's business initiatives in the areas of thermal treatment and related processes. This includes business case development, submission of Appropriation Requests (AR's), forecasting expenditure, cost tracking and timely completion of projects within the approved budget.
- Manage and coordinate project selection, develop detailed project proposals including all necessary justifications and supporting documentation.
- Develop new equipment specifications and manage build of new assets and cells. Support new equipment installations from concept to equipment runoff and production start-up.
- TECHNOLOGY TRANSFORMATION: Create deployment plans for newly developed thermal treatment and related manufacturing processes.
- MANUFACTURING CI - Provide leadership on continuous improvement projects to increase throughput, improve quality, reduce costs, and enhance safety. Analyze and benchmark alternatives and conduct cost comparisons. Work with manufacturing plants to identify opportunities and provide recommendations.
- Participate in developing and implementing continuous improvement solutions in thermal treatment and related processes.
- Develop, implement, improve, and maintain new and existing processes in various Timken plants. This could include:
- Modifications to processes, operating procedures, tooling, and workholding.
- Documentation of any recommendations, standard operating procedures, training materials and preventative maintenance procedures as well as potential rollouts and implementations.
- PRODUCT/PROCESS RATIONALIZATION - Contribute analysis to support global product/ process rationalization efforts by performing manufacturing process benchmarking analyses and manufacturing cost comparisons across the plants.
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT - provide prompt technical support and service to manufacturing plants as requested.
- Help resolve production and maintenance issues. Utilize basic troubleshooting skills to provide appropriate solutions as quickly and safely as possible to minimize production downtime.
- Identify and correct safety and ergonomic problem areas to insure a safe and productive work environment.
- TRAVEL - Domestic and international travel to Timken plants and/or supplier locations is expected approximately 25% of the time.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Metallurgical/Chemical/Mechanical Engineering or a related field with 7+ years of relevant work experience or a master's degree in engineering, materials engineering, MBA, or related with 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with heat treat process development (carburizing, hardening, tempering, etc.) and deployment.
- Good understanding of ferrous metallurgy and metallurgical inspection methods.
- Ability to manage and complete short-term and long-term projects with little supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment both as a leader and contributor.
- Experience with layout development and with the selection, specification and procurement of heat treat equipment is beneficial.
- Understanding of basic statistics including design and analysis of experiments
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Capital project management experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and CAD (AutoCAD and/or Unigraphics). Experience with statistical analysis of large datasets is useful.
- Knowledge of industrial bearing manufacturing is beneficial.
This position involves occasional plant floor activities requiring the ability to stand, bend, sit and walk on a frequent basis to perform the essential functions of the job. Lifting and carrying of up to 35 pounds is required for machine parts, test equipment and/or product. Safety glasses and safety shoes are required while on the shop floor, and some areas require hearing protection.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.