Inventory Control Supervisor
Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Inventory Control Supervisor directs inventory management processes, ensures adequate inventory of materials and products in accordance with inventory cycles and organizational philosophies. Conducts routine physical inventory analysis to solve inventory problems. Directs and manages the yearend physical inventory. Trains and manages an inventory team. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Supervises and coordinates the appropriate processing of inventory movement procedures, receiving reports, inventory requisitions applicable to items maintained
- Develops and implements inventory control procedures throughout the company
Supervises and coordinates the audit of periodic physical inventories
- Maintains inventory records, performs cycle count, investigates variances and adjusts inventory records as required
- Plans layout of stockroom, warehouse, and other storage areas, considering turnover, size, weight, and related factors of items stored. Arranges stock for better access to ensure efficiency and accuracy of the distribution center.
- Reviews and dispositions old or obsolete inventory, periodically, according to company policy
- Supervises all inventory related personnel on a daily basis. Trains, assigns, and directs the staff in their work activities.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Work may be active at times, could stand, walk or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 15 lbs. of force occasionally. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Work areas may be noisy at times.
At least 3 years previous experience supervising and managing inventory control staffers, as well as knowledge of the manufacturing process.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- APICS certification a plus but not required
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer skills are required.
- Data entry experience.
- Familiarity with Axapta (or other ERP system) and RAF system.
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours as needed.
- Outstanding attention to detail and strong ability to multitask.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals at all levels or the company.
- Working with individuals from all departments is a daily requirement.
This position supervises Inventory Control Clerks I and II
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law